Layering Scenes on Timeline

the second tab of Live, with timelines

Layering Scenes on Timeline

Postby socalmagic » 23 February 2011, 07:09

This post is a continuation of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=637. I'm trying to layer scenes in the Timeline. My question is does each layer of an intelligent light have to be on a different timeline? For example, Gobo on 1, shutter on 2, speed on 3, color on 4. Nothing happens when I put all the scenes on the same timeline at the same time, however, the light triggers as instructed if they are all on separate timelines. If this is the case, then how do you handle moving head lights that have 16 channels? My current lights have 6 channels, but I"m planing on upgrading to a moving head with 16 channels.
socalmagic

Re: Layering Scenes on Timeline

Postby tomrbland » 23 February 2011, 08:27

Each timeline can trigger one scene at a time. To use this effectively it is best to make a scene of the whole "look" rather than one scene per channel of the fixture. (Or you can make a scene of the positions, one of the beam shapes, one of the colours, and one to open shutters - this means you always have 4 timelines running.)
tomrbland

Postby socalmagic » 27 February 2011, 16:57

Thanks for answering my question. I'm trying figure out the best way to minimize the amount of time setting the position of the lights. Right now I have to set about 50 different scene looks even though the lights are always in the same 5 positions. I want to layer on color, gobo, speed, and shutter. It isn't an issue now, but I might not have enough timelines once I upgrade to moving head lights.
socalmagic

Postby tomrbland » 28 February 2011, 13:05

In my opinion, timelines are bespoke. They contain specific movements and "looks" for that song. Each "look" being its own scene or set of scenes. Most of the time I have a timeline for moving head positions and a timeline for moving head beam shape/colour (a scene containing all the rest of the moving-head's data except the shutter). I would also have a timeline for generics, a timeline for effects etc. Then I have one master timeline for fine tuning the shutter on/offs of the fixtures. This means that I can give the fixture time to get to the correct colour/gobo and position before I turn it on.

But that is just my personal experience of the software. It is just how I use it. So that's not to say that it is the "right" way to use it, its just how I like to use it. I often use the software like you are using it for busking in Live.
tomrbland

Postby socalmagic » 01 March 2011, 02:22

That makes sense. I will try it using your method. Thanks for the adivice.
socalmagic

Postby tomrbland » 01 March 2011, 12:24

Any time :)
tomrbland

Return to TimeLine