MIDI Controller commands in TimeLine

the second tab of Live, with timelines

MIDI Controller commands in TimeLine

Postby jkiddy » 27 September 2010, 21:54

It would be great if we could get standard MIDI control operations like play and stop to work in the TimeLine, and MIDI timecode would be great as well. Also features suck as NEXT or BACK to move through the TimeLine. Other lighting softwares have these features, it would be great if they were here as well.
jkiddy

Re: MIDI Controller commands in TimeLine

Postby tomrbland » 27 September 2010, 22:04

jkiddy wrote:Also features suck as NEXT or BACK to move through the TimeLine.

Do you not mean a cue list? How would you imagine to do a next/previous button in Timeline? How far would your next button go? 5 mins? 5 seconds? Remember Timeline is just like using timecode. Events happen at a specific time.
tomrbland

Postby jkiddy » 28 September 2010, 07:44

you don't need Cue lists and it would be an extra feature in the Chase section of the editor that would make them cues. But what I am talking about is the same way Jands Vista works in that you can simply move to the next event or cue if you want to call it that on a selected timeline. Wheather that is a scene or a chase or a video clip, it simply goes to the next event in the line. It would also be nice to have that go to feature for the end of clips so you could select next loop beginning or end. Then you could actually use the timeline feature in a live unpredictable setting. Also if you could simply click on a scene on the timeline and it would start playing from the beginning of that scene.

Many times I only get the time it takes for the band to rehearse a song to make any edits that need to be done. Extra verses or solos may be added on a moments notice. I think you should be able to simply create a new scene in the editor. add it to the timeline and it go for as long or short of a time as necessary and then I can just hit a button and it goes to the next scene.
jkiddy

Postby jkiddy » 28 September 2010, 07:55

time code allows you to go to specific places in the timeline by using a midi controller. If you had this if you needed to pause it would just keep replaying that moment in the timeline. If you needed to jump ahead you could have the cue points stored in a MIDI controller and you would just hit a button and the sequence would jump to that exact moment and scene in the timeline. It would save creating a stop button that doesn't shut off the lights. It would also allow users to get standard controllers to control there show from. Also since the MIDI triggers of the Live page still work when you are in the Timeline they can even trigger standard chases or specials from the same controller giving the user a solid control interface for playback during a show. While we are talking about MIDI we could also add a simple grand master that was MIDI controllable or make the cues so that the channel they are linked to is not a simple off or on but a fader that started the cue at 1 and faded the intensity of the levels in the cue up all the way to 255. Or a HTP/LTP feature on the timeline so overlapping cues don't always turn out lights. the list goes on but for the price of the SSA intefaces that I have and I have 2 of them, there should be these features in the software.
jkiddy

Return to TimeLine