What does the BPM tool ?

the second tab of Live, with timelines

Re: What does the BPM tool ?

Postby Lighter007 » 03 May 2014, 19:10

I don't really need to adjust the speed of the timeline. Hm, okay, it would be nice for testing a show you created in 3D view but I don' t see the sense for Bands?! Just create some scenes and toogle them with MIDI and/or make a chase play.
Greetings from Germany! :)
Lighter007

Postby drphoto » 04 May 2014, 03:56

lighter007, what I'm trying to do is sequence a set of cues to a song ahead of time by using a 'scratch track', that is lets say 120 bpm. When we go live, I'm not using that prerecorded track, it was just for the sequencing of cues. So on show night the band is amped up and the song goes at 130 bpm. Wouldn't it be nice if you could expand or contract the entire timeline sequence? or in this case, just make the whole thing run faster. Why mess with triggering buttons or chases when you can preset the cues to the song. All that is missing is to get the timing correct. Even better would be a if you could preload a show (song) and then trigger the start from a MIDI cue.

It seems to me that the power of the timeline feature is that you can just drag in simple cues and position them right were you want while playing the scratch track, rather than having to preprogram in fade times, hold times etc in scenes. but once you have the whole song, you need to take command of the overall playback time.

Does this make sense only to me? Our esteemed support person seems to think so.Gee, and I gave them the crossfade w/ MIDI faders trick….
drphoto

Postby Lighter007 » 04 May 2014, 08:01

Ok I understand you. You want to prerecord one song and add your scenes and in the show you want to match the scenes with the beat with the BPM tool. Good idea but the problem would be to tell the program wich scene should be "master" and synchronized.
For example:
You have scene1 which starts at 0:01 and goes on one step every second.
Now you add scene2 which starts at 0:01,5 (half second later) and goes on one step every 0,75 seconds.
Now the problem is when you use the beat tool: which scene should be synchroned?

It wouldn't be a problem with a (MIDI-)fader, as you sad, so a speed fader would be an good addition.

Lighter007
Lighter007

Postby drphoto » 04 May 2014, 13:10

lighter007. All that's needed is to make the speed of playback for the entire timeline run faster or slower. Think of the moving curser running faster or slower. Then there is no need to think of which individual scene is synched. That's the way it works now. The current BPM tool only effects steps within a scene. I'm try to make a complex show that runs nearly hands free live, as I have to mix sound at the same time.
drphoto

Postby Lighter007 » 04 May 2014, 18:08

As I told you - I got it and it is a good idea but HOW do you want to change the speed? What about a fader you can control by MIDI?
Lighter007

Postby drphoto » 05 May 2014, 05:05

lighter007,

My apology. I wasn't sure if you followed what I want, because it seems our esteemed moderator seems to think I'm the only one would find this useful.

a fader would work, but a 'tap to tempo', button, which ideally could be controlled by MIDI would be a game changer.( and although I know YOU get get it now, I mean 'tap to tempo' for the ENTIRE timeline, not steps in a scene )

I'm looking at every software package out there and this one is SO close but I'm going to have to go elsewhere. most likely one of Nicolaudie or Enttec packages which I hate for the most part.

And that's too bad, because as I've outlined in other post, there's a lot to love about this program. At the same time, it feels like a work in progress. The online manual doesn't reflect the current version, the interface is a bit clunky,and then there's the snarky remarks from tech support about suggestions.

cheers mate
drphoto

Postby drphoto » 08 May 2014, 06:55

Well I actually bought the interface ( the Chauvet version) Maybe I can find someone who can hack the software and give me control over the timeline playback.

Enttec's D-pro allows you to vary the playback speed of the entire timeline. But it doesn't allow scene stacking which makes it pretty worthless for how I want to work. Wish I could combine the two!
drphoto

Postby LightWorx » 08 May 2014, 17:42

Support. Several people myself included have ask for a method to better control light shows to live bands. The "go' button request that would allow us to manually trigger steps in scenes. Or a manual trigger button as part of the bpm or music trigger that would allow us to tap in those changes. We were told this was on hold due to new development. Can you please put this on the list and re-visit these request now that version 7 is out for testing.
LightWorx

Postby drphoto » 09 May 2014, 05:14

Lightwox. If one could alter the playback speed of a timeline this thing would rule. I'm not sure why support doesn't get that. One of the strongest features of this software is being able to build a very complex show using timeline and scene layering. But not being able to adjust the overall playback time is a real flaw. Please tell the tech support Im not the only one who wants this feature.
drphoto

Postby support » 09 May 2014, 06:52

We hear you.
We are presently working on two new features for V7, that you will certainly not care about, but that a lot of users will like a lot.
The debugging period is not over ; we still receive bugs reports.
In the meantime, we are doing some pdf and video help files, for new users.

We could start studying the "live bands" requirements when a stable version of V7 will be on line.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

PreviousNext

Return to TimeLine