What does the BPM tool ?

the second tab of Live, with timelines

Re: What does the BPM tool ?

Postby JohnRichards » 09 May 2014, 20:09

Just a quick question for Drphoto as to this request.
Please explain what will happen to the audio and video playback speeds if the warp factor of the timeline is changed.
Another idea for your application is to have a click track in the audio channel, and then, maybe your drummer will stick to 120bpm.
John
JohnRichards

Postby drphoto » 09 May 2014, 23:21

Good question John. I don't care what happens to the audio if I speed up or slow down the playback, because I'm only using it as a 'Scratch" file. Meaning I use a track just to build the show. When I take it live the recorded track will be disabled.

I don't want to force my guy to play to a click if he doesn't want to. The guy is rock solid on tempos. I'm the lighting tech. It's my job to make the show fit the music, not the other way around.

While we're at it, It would be really nice if playback cursor would stay put unless you click on it. When I hit pause or stop, I want the green cursor to stay put so I can position my scene but as soon as I move the mouse the darn thing jumps all around.

And as someone else mentioned a waveform representation of the audio would help with precise positioning of cues.

Support. Keep in mind we are giving feedback to help you create a better product. This thing is very good but with a few upgrades it would absolutely rule.

BTW, the interface just arrived. Going to test it with the physical lights Monday and hopefully do my first live show next weekend.

cheers to all
drphoto

Postby drphoto » 13 May 2014, 00:18

After thinking about I realized John has provided the solution. Replace the audio track w/ a click track in the timeline and send the audio out to the monitors. The drummer is open to this. Since we are created the click, we could include a count in, so the band knows exactly when to start.

Thanks John!
drphoto

Postby drphoto » 13 May 2014, 01:26

One more thing, this strikes me as being a completely novel approach. One normally thinks of a click as coming from a drum machine, electronic drum brain, audio software, but this is having it supplied by the lighting software. I'm convinced this is the solution to getting lockstep sync in a live band application.
drphoto

Previous

Return to TimeLine