Midi inside timeline ?

the second tab of Live, with timelines

Midi inside timeline ?

Postby jaxx00974 » 17 July 2010, 12:11

Ok,

Just for clarity, I use the timeline/live pretty much constant in livge scenario and tried out a concept which amazingly works but causes a secondary problem.

I use the video timeline for placing JPGs whilst the audio is playing and the lights are doing their thing, all perfect. But I decided to create 12 tiny little midi files each only containing a program change for my guitar fx pedal board so Ii can drop the midi file into the video timeline when I need the guitar to change sound automatically and it WORKS brilliantly, however, it also stop the audio from sounding ! Hmmm (Midi file contains just 3 small events,, , 2 control changes and one program change, there is no midi notes being played)

I also did the same with my vocal fx processor and same thing happens so it seems to be to do with the audio engine inside sweetlight. I tested this by applying all midi inside windows to use something other than the windows audio engine. I even fitted a second sound card to just do midi and still it cuts off the audio in timeline.

I tried re-routing my midi through to a dedictaed controller so the midi and audio are not being handled by the same sound card but it makes no difference.

If I can get this to work then it would be a fabulous addition to this softwares power.

For a laugh, I also renamed my midi file to a supported format (PNG) and yes I know that a graphics format but amazingly it still sent out the midi changes to my guitar fx unit lol (I also renamed the midi file too .txt and again it worked but everything stioll cuts out the audio.

Lastly, If I plkace the midi file 'before' the audio begins then it behaves, it only stops the audio if I place a midi file 'during' the song that it stops the audio.

This is the same in both V5 and V6

Any tips or alterations to makes this great idea to work ?

Lee.
jaxx00974

Re: Midi inside timline ?

Postby support » 20 July 2010, 15:36

Current TimeLine applicaton is not supposed to drive Midi.
Added in TODO list (not in urgent section).
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Re: Midi inside timeline ?

Postby jaxx00974 » 23 July 2010, 12:15

I understand.

Midi already does work beautifully in the timeline so I cant imagine alot of work is needed other than to prevent it from stopping the audio playing.

I hope this can be sorted easily and quickly as it is a fantastic feature to be able to drive fx units using midi in timeline.

Thanks,

Lee.
jaxx00974

Postby Niffo » 23 July 2010, 12:23

If it seems to work,it is only because the Windows Media Player knows how to handle midi files and midi files are not filtered by TimeLine/SceenControl.
In TimeLine, each event stops the previous one of the same type (Video/Picture or Audio). Here is probably the cause of your issue.
Niffo
Administrateur

Postby Niffo » 23 July 2010, 14:27

Waiting a possibly future dedicated Midi timeline, we finally made two small modifications (for next beta/fix/release) :

- ".mid" files are now recognized as audio files and added to the audio timeline (.mid files are most generally audio files)
- Video/Picture events that do not display anything are no longer played as audio events (so they do not stop current audio event)

So, for your issue you have to name your midi file with the extension you want except ".mid" (IE : ".midi") and it will be added in the video timeline and it does no longer stop current audio event.
Niffo
Administrateur

Postby jaxx00974 » 24 July 2010, 02:15

Brilliant news, thanks a million.

Is it possible to make this happen in V5 ? mainly because that is the version I am still using for alot of good reasons so having this facility in V5 would be a huge boost to my current stage show.

Lee.
jaxx00974

Postby support » 24 July 2010, 17:21

Since version 6.22 with user manual is ready, we are supposed to not upgrade version 5 anymore.
Soon, new V6 beta with new midi events management.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby jaxx00974 » 25 July 2010, 13:31

Is it even possible to quickly add this to V5 as a small fix file ? It would mean the world to our show ?

Thanks guys,

Lee.
jaxx00974

Return to TimeLine