Request to NOT change something :-)

the first tab of Live, with pages and buttons

Request to NOT change something :-)

Postby Arjan » 15 June 2011, 13:57

Hi,

Just wanted to make a somewhat unusual 'feature request': Please do not change your method of storing the buttons and their properties on the Live page on disk. I'm working on software that allows me to trigger sequences just by playing songs from my keyboards, the software is able to recognized chord changes, certain specific chords or notes etc. with different triggers amd sequences depending on the current 'stage' of the song we're playing. Apart from the DMX/midi triggers a Stage also contains all the sounds/layers/splits for all my keyboards and modules which I all play from one single master keyboard through my software but I digress.

Originally I was manually setting the MIDI triggers on the buttons and duplicating those settings in my software (ie send Note X on MIDI channel Y when chord ABC is hit). Quite a bit of work and when I add new Scenes I have to ensure that everything stays in syncs. Cumbersome and error prone to say the least.

Before posting to ask if you could add some kind of 'export' function to export the buttons with their associated scenes and MIDI triggers to a text file I figured I should take a look at how you store that information and Lo and behold, it turns out you're using a simple .ini file. And not only can I read from that file, it appears I can also write to it or create such a file from scratch! So what I plan to do is to include a function in my software to scan the Scenes folder of a selected Lightshow and automatically create a corresponding live.ini file that has a button for each Scene and an automatically generated MIDI trigger event.

Of course this depends on the continued use of this method for storing buttons and all their properties in this .ini file so if at all possible please keep using this method! And if you do at some point have a need to change this it would be great if it could still be in a format that I can read and write to myself as well.

Thanks,
Arjan

P.S. And thanks for fixing the MIDI bug that I reported a while ago!
Arjan

Return to Buttons