Which option to start with??

post here other topics

Which option to start with??

Postby marriott3110 » 24 January 2017, 15:32

Hey Gang - I'm just getting started with a lighting setup for a large basement, and have a few quick questions. Right now I have several par lights, several effect lights, and I plan to add two intimidators later this Spring. The lights are currently run by an Obey 40 board, but I'm looking to convert to software and an interface instead. Ultimately, I'd like to create scenes that sync with concert DVDs (if the lighting on stage turns green, for example, I'd like my lights to match that). A few questions include:

1. I'm considering either ShowXpress with an Xpress 512 interface, or FreeStyler with an Enttec interface. I'd like to be able to control the setup remotely via iPhone/iPad. Any suggestions as to which setup would be more conducive to this objective?

2. Is there anywhere to download/purchase existing programming (for any software)? It would be awesome if somebody already created light shows for popular DVDs (Pink Floyd, Dave Matthews, etc.) that I could use as a starting point. I understand that fixtures for different setups will vary, but that could be modified.

3. Any other suggestions for a newbie just getting started?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

-Jim
marriott3110

Re: Which option to start with??

Postby BartKrap » 24 January 2017, 18:31

If you want easy useability go with ShowXpress, if you want to tinker around and find out how everyting works yourself, go with freestyler. Since this forum is for ShowXpress, Sweetlight and QuickDMX (Same software, different manufacturer) the next things apply to ShowXpress, Sweetlight and QuickDMX only.
When you download the software you will get a demo show to play with, with some pre made scenes and the possibility to make your own.
Links:
viewtopic.php?f=85&t=114
viewtopic.php?f=85&t=3438
Watch a lot of tutorials; here are some good channels to check out.
https://www.youtube.com/user/directsound/videos These video's are a bit older than the current video's so the interface looks different, the things tought do still apply though.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGSY4o ... 9Xg/videos These are probably the latest video's you can find. All things thought apply to the latest versions.

Keep an eye on this page.
viewforum.php?f=2
Any updates on this page are downloadable. A new post means you have to download the installer and reïnstall the software, you won't lose any of your settings or shows.
A comment to a post means a fix file, to learn more about fix files check out the 2nd link at point 2.

Join the facebook group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/6195438 ... 3/?fref=ts
The members of this group are always willing to help you if you have problems or questions.

Good luck

Greetz

Bart Kreeft
Head of lighting, lighting designer and lighting operater at De Zoom and Pinky's in Renesse and Ron van der Veen Entertainment.
BartKrap

Re: Which option to start with??

Postby marriott3110 » 27 January 2017, 02:45

Thanks Bart, that is a great start.... and that Facebook group is really the bee's knees!
marriott3110

Return to Other