DMX LINE IN - NOT WORKING

usb to dmx (2003 - 2010)

DMX LINE IN - NOT WORKING

Postby murbz » 24 March 2011, 01:48

Hey Members & Support,

I've been using the BOX for over a year or so and it's been great!

I've just upgraded the new ShowXpress software too.

My situation has been that i've never used DMX-IN on the controller.

Now with the new light show design (a year or so later) we've decided to place the Controller in the middle of the daisy chain. I.e have dmx XLR cables run from a light fixture -> DMX In on controller and DMX Out on controller into another fixture).

And not just using the controller as a starting fixture.
(We're doing this because we're trying to avoid one area not to have cables running across a certain area of the stage)

Unfortunately DMX-In on the controller unit doesn't work!

The DMX-Line in light on the unit does not come on.
We've tried multiple cables (new and old)

and also ran it through a DMX cable signal tester - and the results show that the DMX-Line In is scrambled.

Scrambled I mean using a 3 pin XLR cable through a DMX Cable tester and getting varied results in the instrument readings.

Results in a perfect XLR cable chain should read: (3 Pin XLR Cable)

Pin 1 -Pin 1,
Pin 2- Pin 2-
Ground-Ground.

when Control Box was tested Results vary as follows:

Pin 1 - Pin 2
then Pin 2 - ground
then Pin 1,2,3 - ground

So,

I thought it sounds like something on the circuit as a cross wired, damaged burnt out?

We've opened up the unit, and there's no sign of damage. No chips burnt out, nothing in the circuit board seems been dropped or ripped out.

looks brand new!

I'm officially beat, so didin't know if anyone has had a similar problem with their unit, or suggestions how I can fix mine.

Again in summary,

DMX IN not working
DMX-IN LED not working on front of control box (dmx cables are plugged in to both laptop and in and out on controller)
No board damage,
no physical damage.
Line Out working perfect!

Any suggestions?

firmware? chip upgrades, new software not supporting dmx in on controller (like new ones)

or,

is unit manufactured wrong, and i haven't noticed until now?

Many thanks

Murbz
murbz

Re: DMX LINE IN - NOT WORKING

Postby support » 24 March 2011, 09:40

In order to be sure the problem does not come from the lighting desk, we suggest you to try with another dmx lighting desk, with the less possible cables and lighting equipment.
If the "dmx in" led is still not flashing, you can replace the chip SN75176 (ref. U7), with a new one.
If still not flashing, then may be the interface has a dmx in problem. In that case, please return it to your retailer for checking.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Re: DMX LINE IN - NOT WORKING

Postby tomrbland » 24 March 2011, 10:25

murbz wrote:have dmx XLR cables run from a light fixture -> DMX In on controller and DMX Out on controller into another fixture). And not just using the controller as a starting fixture.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but are you trying to control the fixtures like this:
fixture-fixture-fixture-box-fixture-fixture-fixture.

The only way to control fixtures is from the DMX output (what you called the lineout)

So you have to do this:
box-fixture-fixture-fixture-fixture-fixture

You can also do this:
external DMX controller-box-fixture-fixture-fixture-fixture

I think my understanding is from the use of the term fixture. What do you have going in to your "line in"? Is it another controller or is it a luminaire? The term fixture usually refers to a device that is controlled not the controller. Ie the box is not a fixture, it is the controller.

If I have interpreted your meaning wrong then please ignore me, I don't mean to offend :) I just believe in checking the obvious stuff before looking for a fault :) We all make the mistake of wondering why something isn't working and then realising that it isn't turned on at the plug!

Cheers
Tom
tomrbland

Return to Box