DMX Output Problems

computer, driver, ...

DMX Output Problems

Postby Sunrise » 19 August 2020, 22:12

I have an Xpress 100 and an Xpress 512. Both behave as expected except for failing to control any connected luminaires.

Both devices are recognized by ShowXpress on the splash screen and start rapidly blinking their green PC Link lights when sending DMX commands. Both return to a slow blink when not sending any DMX commands while ShowXpress is open. The DMX bar graph indicates normal functioning.

I've attempted connecting a Chauvet SlimPAR 64 RGBA, an ETC Desire D40xt, and an Ovation p65UV. Only the ETC D40 responds at all, and it mostly strobes briefly in random colors before stopping responding altogether. Restarting gets me another 10-15 seconds of strobing on the D40. The D40 does not indicate a valid DMX connection.

I've swapped DMX cables, DMX interfaces, fixtures, and power supplies all without success. I directly connect both interfaces to the USB ports on the my laptop.

The Xpress 100 shows up in the device manager as not having a valid driver. When I download the drivers and tell Windows to search the folder, the install fails with the message "Windows was unable to install your USB serial port". The Xpress 512 shows up in the device manager normally.

I run ShowXpress v9.2.22 (64 bits) on a Lenovo ThinkPad T470s running Windows 10 Pro, OS version 1903.
Sunrise

Re: DMX Output Problems

Postby support » 20 August 2020, 08:14

We suggest you to first make tests with only the interface Xpress512.
Please follow these tests: https://thelightingcontroller.com/viewt ... =15&t=5262
and tell us the results.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Sunrise » 20 August 2020, 21:05

I viewed your link. I've already tested and reported on (1) and (2). I can't test (4) yet, but I ordered a new 512s to do so.

I tested (3) by borrowing a Microsoft Surface Pro running Windows 10. The computer has never had ShowXpress installed nor has had either DMX interface connected to it.

I mapped one SlimPAR 64 RGBA in the new install, then connected the luminaire. Everything worked perfectly! Next I connected an ETC Desire D40xt and again received expected behavior. Then I switched DMX the interface back to my main computer and continued to have no problems with either the SlimPAR 64 or the ETC D40.

Then daisy-chained an Elation SevenPAR IP, again with good results. Then I connected the Ovation P-56uv. The Xpress 512 now outputs garbage including an apparent Stand Alone show full of garbage commands. Reinstalling ShowXpress on either computer, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers the Xpress 512 all change nothing.

Now when I power on the Xpress 512 (even by a USB charger instead of a computer), the connected SlimPAR runs a all-color fade loop when in 8-channel mode, all channels at full output in 4-channel mode, and if I try to send any commands from ShowXpress, the SlimPAR just flickers and strobes.

How can I reset the Xpress 512 again?
Sunrise

Postby SeekLighting » 20 August 2020, 23:57

Sunrise wrote:Then daisy-chained an Elation SevenPAR IP, again with good results. Then I connected the Ovation P-56uv. The Xpress 512 now outputs garbage including an apparent Stand Alone show full of garbage commands. Reinstalling ShowXpress on either computer, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers the Xpress 512 all change nothing.

Hey mate,

Considering that everything is working just fine until you plug in that particular fixture, that suggests to me that the fault is with the fixture itself. In a DMX daisy chain, a faulty fixture can sometimes send a fault all the way back down the line, corrupting the signal to the entire daisy chain. I hypothesise that this might be your problem. I don't own this fixture so I couldn't tell you exactly, but from the evidence you've provided that's what it sounds like.
SeekLighting

Postby Sunrise » 21 August 2020, 00:32

Tim,

Yes, I agree that the problem is most likely isolated to that luminaire. Connecting the P-56uv somehow scrambled the brains of the Xpress 512.

I'd really like to recover my Xpress 512 if possible. I managed to reset it once with a fresh install on a naive computer, but I can't seem to replicate that process.
Sunrise

Return to General hardware