DMX and MPX from ShowXpress

computer, driver, ...

DMX and MPX from ShowXpress

Postby carderben » 13 May 2018, 22:02

We currently run 8 chauvet LED rgbw lights on our stage at our Chuch using a MAC and showexpress. This is of course standard dmx512. We are using the 3 pin XLR Connection. We recently obtained a NSI-8800 dimmer rack (2 actually). We want tonuse them on our house lights . The NSI rack is mpx and has both the 3 pin and 5 pin options. How do i run both systems from the one showexpress computer? Basically what is the easiest way to do this. I have heard that you can use a levtiton 0501 to convert the dmx to mpx. Seemed rather expensive and will the existing dmx lights continue to work properly? I really would like to just extend our current dmx cable to the NSI rack and not have to run a seperate cable altogether. Again, can i run dmx and mpx simultaneously on the same cable and computer?
carderben

Re: DMX AND MPX FROM SHOWEXPRESS

Postby SeekLighting » 13 May 2018, 23:54

Hey mate,

I'd never heard of MPX before so I had to do some Googling. Seems like a proprietary thing. Looks like you can convert from one to the other but you'll need to use a converter box to do so.

I believe you should be able to add this converter box at the end of your existing DMX chain. This article goes into some detail about it: https://www.learnstagelighting.com/microplex-to-dmx/
SeekLighting

Return to General hardware