Digital Signature.... still ?

computer, driver, ...

Digital Signature.... still ?

Postby CHR1155 » 19 January 2017, 00:04

Hi All,

I would imagine i am not the only one that is still having problems with this digital signature malarkey?

I recently did a complete wipe of my laptop and have just started going around re installing all of my software and i am once again hit with the drivers for the D152 not installing properly. I have followed the instructions from this thread (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4256) and repeated the process god knows how many times for it not to work.

Does anyone actually have a fix for this, and i put the question to support/sweetlight: I paid around £200 for this and it doesn't work properly? We have had several updates since this first started happening and still no proper fix for this!

I have a show on Saturday that i NEED this for and at this point in time it is not looking hopeful! I would really appreciate some help on solving this!

Regards,
Chris
CHR1155

Re: Digital Signature.... STILL?

Postby support » 19 January 2017, 09:31

These last years, we saw in this forum a few users who meet driver installation problem. After a while, they do not give any feedback. Two solutions:
1. they gave up and moved to another lighting controller (we do not think this is the case, because they should come back in the forum to complain much louder)
2. they fixed the problem (oftenly, when the problem is fixed, they do not post back to let us know)

One thing is sure: if our drivers are bad, the forum will receive dozen of complains per day.

So our opinion is "there is something which blocks the driver installation, which happen exclusively in some computers". We of course try to investigate what could happen in your computer, but it is indeed not easy when we are not able to reproduce it.

So the words "i paid ... and it does not work properly" is indeed a disparaging remark.

Let us remind you that you are using a couple of devices (software/interface and computer). Drivers are sensible. The signature is valid only for two years, so we must re-generate (re-pay) them every two years. The driver signature technology changes regularely (sha256 > sha512), so indeed not easy to meet all existing Windows versions. And as everybody knows, computers are not 100% safe against problems.

FYI, there is no driver with MacOS.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Niffo » 19 January 2017, 11:19

And please check your Windows system is up to date with all updates installed. Recent driver signatures does not work on older systems.
Niffo
Administrateur

Postby CHR1155 » 19 January 2017, 18:16

So if i have understood this correctly, there is the issue because of something you guys don't want /cant pay for?

I understand that people tend not to post when they have solved something, and will post when it goes wrong - i can't really hold you guys accountable for that.
As far as i am aware all my drivers are up to date (running windows 7) (< if you tell me that it has a better success rate on a newer version of windows this could be an option)

This comments were meant to be disparaging, as i have bought something not fit for purpose. If you bought a product that stopped working/became buggy you surely should understand the announce it causes.

Can the fix for the drivers not be part of the updates that are rolled out?

I shall post screenshots later to see if this can aid in you helping me further...

Chris
CHR1155

Postby support » 19 January 2017, 19:25

So if i have understood this correctly, there is the issue because of something you guys don't want /cant pay for?

Absolutely not. We pay every two years to get a valid signature.
If we could pay for 10 years for all Windows OS, we will do it.

We can not tell a Windows OS is better
A problem can happen with any version.
An up to date Windows 7 is supposed to accept the signature of our drivers. This is what they say here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... ty/3033929

Can the fix for the drivers not be part of the updates that are rolled out?

That would be heaven.
Unfortunately, Windows systematically blocks any new driver install, when there is an old one installed (even when the old one does not work properly).

Welcome to Windows !
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Return to General hardware