Moving head positioning 630 degrees pan

graphic representation in 3 dimensions

Moving head positioning 630 degrees pan

Postby livetechproductions » 05 March 2019, 14:36

I have an issue with positioning a moving head in 3D view vs the actual real-life model. What I want to achieve is after turning on the head and it has moved to it's initial position to align this with the 3D viewer to have a good starting point and equal movement. Mainly doing this so I can program the heads without necessarely connecting the actual head each and every time.
But I can't get this to work with two specific moving heads of the same model.

These moving heads have 630 pan. If I set it to 540 it aligns correctly in 3D view and the base of the moving head can be lined up with the truss and initial position of the real one. However when I set the fixture to 630 degrees, in 3D viewer, the head flips 45 degrees relative to the base. To get back to the intitial position I change the Y-orientation of the fixture with 45 degrees.
So far so good when controlling panning in scenes and within generator. Both heads do exactly the same movements.
However when I want a mirror effect in generator and therefore set both pan and tilt reverse for one of the heads, the mirroring is not correct. I can compensate that with an offset but that would not be a really good solution as I need to do that for each and every mirror generator move.

Am I missing something here?
The other two heads I use having 540 degrees panning are working perfectly fine and were easy to align between 3D viewer and real-life.
livetechproductions

Re: Moving head positioning 630 degrees pan

Postby support » 06 March 2019, 09:51

In the software side, whatever is the amplitude, 'dmx = 0' gives angle 0 and 'dmx = 255' gives angle max (and reverse if parameter "reverse" is used).
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Re: Moving head positioning 630 degrees pan

Postby livetechproductions » 06 March 2019, 10:21

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I get that, but that's not the exact problem.
It's about the Stairville MH-110 Wash. When turning on the head will initialize to a position 90 degrees relative to the LCD panel on the base. However when setting 630 degrees for pan, the head in 3D viewer will be shown about 45 degrees relative to the LCD panel on the base. When turning the Y-orientation in 3D viewer with 45 degrees to compensate everything will be ok and the two heads align when changing pan simultaniously. However when reversing pan/tilt in generator for one of the heads, I'd expect exact mirroring, but it isn't. It's completely off.
This does work for fixtures with 540 degrees pan configured. When I change 630 to 540 it works like a charm.
livetechproductions

Return to 3DView