Fixture based vs channel based programming

create lighting scenes

Fixture based vs channel based programming

Postby Tulsadj » 15 March 2012, 16:01

...or is there a way to move or copy programming for fixtures.

Let me see if I can explain this correctly.

In the hardware days (speaking of cheap Dix operator style controllers at least), before you start programming your light shows, you had to map out the addresses of all of your fixtures first.

When software came along, they mimicked this behavior, possibly because it may have been easier for people to transition from one to the other with less of a learning curve?

So, why does it matter what physical address the fixture is at for programming? Why can't I add my fixtures, program the fixtures' channels for movement, options, etc and then assign the physical address later? By doing this, fixtures could be moved to different addresses in case things need to be shuffled around. In one case, another vendor had a line of uplighting which I could have utilized in my show (I know him and would not have had a problem with it), but his fixtures were at a different address than mine. If the software did fixture based programming, I could have moved my fixtures to his channels, or copied scenes to another instance of the fixture, which could be assigned to that address.

This would also allow me to program scenes using another associates fixtures, and allowing me to assign the physical address later.

Short of that, is there a quick way to take say my moving head scenes, and readdress them?
Tulsadj

Re: Fixture based vs channel based programming

Postby support » 15 March 2012, 19:51

There is a dmx outputs patch for that: ControlBoard > Patch for DMX and MIDI output > DMX Output
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Re: Fixture based vs channel based programming

Postby Savelim » 02 April 2012, 12:31

by DMX out you must do it channel for channel.
it means a lot of work every time.

when i have 10 active suntrips it will be 100 channels.
its more easy to do this fixture for fixture ''softpatch''
Ore select all fixtures and than give a addres and the addreses will be followt of each other.
Savelim

Return to Editor