ShowXpress blacks out mid-show

post here topics for Mac OS only

ShowXpress blacks out mid-show

Postby pjquill » 16 December 2023, 17:46

I have a Macbook running ShowXpress connected to a Chauvet 1024 box. DMX then runs to a splitter, the fixtures, and terminators.

At random times, the fixtures all blackout and the program must be restarted on the Mac in order to regain responsiveness.

All fixtures have been checked individually, DMX cables have been replaced, and the shows have been run without the DMX box connected. I have used three different Macbooks and another 512 box. The issue persists.

Any possible idea what is causing this? I'm at a loss.
pjquill

Re: ShowXpress blacks out mid-show

Postby Robin_D » 16 December 2023, 20:25

I had a similar issue posted at https://forum.thelightingcontroller.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=7721. On one occasion the current scene froze, but of course rebooting the laptop killed everything. On the second it blacked out and froze. However, I have a blackout button programmed and could not be sure I hadn't inadvertently touched it.

Having the midi device in play or not did not seem to make a difference.

I have had it happen a third time using a completely different laptop.

I would say that on all occasions it occurred after 2.5 to 3 hours continuous operation.

To be honest, I have now given up and reverted to carting around my ETC lighting desk. Old but predictable. Keep watching here for a new version.
Robin_D

Postby livetechproductions » 17 December 2023, 12:49

Does the 'USB' led goes off when everything freezes?
I had issues with my D512 box that during a show (after some time and sometimes even multiple times) everything went off and by reconnecting the USB cable (without a restart of the software) the issue resolved immediately and turned everything on again.
The USB light went off in that case so the connection between Mac and the box was lost for some reason.

I've replaced the USB cable with a fresh (and thicker) one and so far it's working again.
livetechproductions

Postby Robin_D » 18 December 2023, 00:14

That's interesting. I don't know, but something to try.
Robin_D

Return to Mac OS