M1 - fast midi messages not working properly

post here topics for Mac OS only

Re: M1 - fast midi messages not working properly

Postby support » 12 March 2021, 08:13

Thank you for this report.
Please let us know if you do not see this problem under Catalina, with the same 2017 Macbook.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby astralbody888 » 12 March 2021, 18:46

support wrote:Thank you for this report.
Please let us know if you do not see this problem under Catalina, with the same 2017 Macbook.

Will do.
astralbody888

Postby detroitcreative » 19 March 2022, 16:02

Any updates on this issue. I've been having to use "keyboard" triggers to busk and it sucks.

astralbody888 wrote:Hey there - I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure this out and use a similar setup, I use Ableton Live 10 to transmit midi to the native Mac OS IAC Controller, and then use that as the midi input device in ShowXpress 9.2.23. This was working previously and after a ton of time debugging - I was able to narrow it down to the ShowXpress not able to interpret more than one or two midi notes at a time - it would get the midi signal from the IAC driver and activate each scene/button individually if I triggered them in Ableton, however running the show with 3+ notes at a time would cause certain notes to intermittently stop working, or wouldn't receive the off event so buttons would get stuck. So I knew at least that the signal path was completing and activating the lights. I also used the midi logger in ShowXpress and noticed it was only getting certain notes from the IAC Driver when running, so I thought maybe it was an issue with the IAC driver. I then tested the IAC Driver by running Ableton midi through the Driver to Reaper and then I realized I wasn't losing any midi there - it was an exact match (see the attached image).

I am on Mac Big Sur 11.2.3, but this is a 2017 macbook pro with an Intel Core i7 CPU - not the M1. I don't believe the M1 is the cause.

Edit - I've tried with ShowXpress 9.2.27 it hasn't resolved the issue. I have a gig I need to do so I may have to try rolling back to Mac OS Catalina.
detroitcreative

Postby DrKattywhopus » 24 June 2022, 01:13

I'm having the same issue...Has there been any progress on this?
DrKattywhopus

Postby support » 24 June 2022, 09:44

Mac M1 is not straight hardware compatible with Intel software. "Rosetta2" is the MacOS emulator which allows communication between Mac Intel software and Mac M1 hardware.
(https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... -macs.html)

The previous user report says all is fine with Mac Intel computer while there is a problem with Mac M1.

If you still see the same problem, this means "Roseta2" has not been improved yet. So for optimum midi results, we still suggest to use a Mac Intel.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Previous

Return to Mac OS