Losing DMX signal using midi controller(s) [fixed]

post here topics for Mac OS only

Re: Losing communication with midi controllers

Postby Bonifacedj » 07 December 2016, 20:23

BartKrap wrote:you're using the usb protocol over thunderbolt which still translates to usb speeds (I'm not sure if that's usb 2 or 3 speeds but since thunderbolt 2 was developed before the wide spread adoption of usb 3.0 it's possible it won't work at those speeds although that's unlikely).

My Caldigit thunderbolt station has three usb3 ports. See manual > http://www.caldigit.com/support/TS/CalD ... Manual.pdf
So it should have at least the same bandwidth as a regular usb3 hub i assume.

BartKrap wrote:Can you update me on the usb ports that are available on the 2013 macbook?

Let's say it has one usb 2 and one usb 3 ports, since I know for sure it has 1 usb 3 port.

This Macbook Air has two usb 3 port and one Thunderbolt port. See > Everymc / macbook-air-core-i5-1.3-13-mid-2013-specs and here my today made etrecheck rapport.

BartKrap wrote:What you can do is get a usb 3.0 hub (get one from Bax, if it doesn't work you can send it back within 60 days and get your money back), connect that one to your usb 3.0 port and connect your APC MINI's into that hub.
Your dongle goes into the usb 2.0 port.
http://www.bax-shop.nl/computer-accesso ... sb-3-0-hub

That should clear up the bottleneck (at least it did for me) and no longer "overflow".

I could and i shall buy a powered usb3 hub although i don’t expect this to solve the overflow since my thunderbolt hub has also usb3 ports.

BartKrap wrote:Please try what support suggested and this (if possible) next saturday and see if the problem is solved.

Yes, i will fall back to only one APCmini and have a look at the DMX Bargraph if there is any movement when i should have another blackout.
Bonifacedj

Postby Bonifacedj » 11 December 2016, 15:41

Very rarely a technical issue drove me so crazy, left me so numb, puzzled.

Used only one APCmini last night, directly connected through the left usb3 port of mijn MBA 13 inch mid 2013. In the only other usb3 port on the right, i've put my D512 DMX Interface.

90 minutes into the dancing part, same thing happened: lights gone, blackout.
I opened DMX Bargraph windows, as said to do, which i took a look in a few times earlier in the evening during dinner, to become familiar with.
This time, during the blackout, starting the DMX Bargraph windows, didn't show me any window but a colored spinning bal....
It lasted more then a long minute, so i decided, having no other choice, to force quit TheLightingController software.
Started it again and had lights back in an instant as usual.

This time, when the party was finished, I've switched laptops (See attachment).
I'll use my MBP 15 inch early 2011 with macOS Sierra for light and the MBA 13 inch mid 2013 with macOS Sierra for music with TraktorDJ and connected all three APCmini's by thunderbolt dock and one launchpad directly in a usb2 port and the D512 DMX Interface in the other usb2 port. Worked for at least three ours while reprogramming a lot of button trigger Midi settings since APC 3 took over what i had dedicated for the launchpad.

Next Tuesday night another party.
Meanwhile i'm gonna reinstall my oldest MBA 11 inch late 2010 with OS X El Capitan and version 7 of sweetlight and latest working show i kept.
In that configuration i had no problems at all from october 2015 till last summer.
If Tuesday night's party ends up in the same blackout story then i'll be using my MBA 11 inch next party on Thursday night.
Then i will be able to conclude what's going on for months now already.

If i end up with a blackout again on thursday night's party, then there is definitely something wrong with my equipment, wireless DMX senders / receivers, fixtures, whatever.
If not, the software is to blame. Might still be a combination of macOS Sierra and computer hardware.

This morning, before leaving the club at 10 am, i've also installed latest version 8.2.2 on my MBP 15 inch which i will be using next Tuesday.

@Support: Or should i stick with version 1.2.9 for this testing with other laptop now?
I read "Live - enhanced management for midi shortcuts Minor tweaks" which i immediately seem to notice doing his job seeing a round (macro)button on APCmini device 2 stop blinking when not in use.

To be continued.

[image]
Bonifacedj

Postby Niffo » 11 December 2016, 23:16

Bonifacedj wrote:This time, during the blackout, starting the DMX Bargraph windows, didn't show me any window but a colored spinning bal....

So it seems the main thread of the software was blocked... We will see if we can try something for you.
Niffo
Administrateur

Postby Bonifacedj » 12 December 2016, 01:07

Niffo wrote:So it seems the main thread of the software was blocked... We will see if we can try something for you.

Thanks Niffo.
And i just realized something while emailing with another technician who is thinking with me what could be the cause of this weekly blackout.

Look what i wrote in another topic named Show Us Your MIDI Setup! on 28 August 2016, 14:10:
Bonifacedj wrote:Finished my first gig with three midi controllers successfully last night.
Can't count anymore how much time i spent configuring to this stage. Lots of ours, day's, weeks, months, and it's not yet finished (will it ever be?), but it was / is worth it.
I can finally talk from al light-show now while music DJ'ing.

I posted a picture in that topic with on the left my MBP 15inch with Traktor and on the right my MBA 13inch with sweetlight.

When did macOS Sierra came out?
"macOS 10.12 Sierra was released to the public on September 20, 2016"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS#macOS_10.12_Sierra

I'm usually not an early adapter since my Mac's are for my Job, but upgraded somewhere in the first weeks of oktober because Sierra finally fixed a audio drop out bug which was very irritating.
So i read for example there > http://cdm.link/2016/09/real-apple-news ... xed-month/

But i was so 'stupid' not only installing Sierra on my MBP ,which indeed finally fixed this irritating audio drop outs, but also on mijn MBA13 inch, which i use for sweetlight.

When did i start this topic? 02 November.
It's still possible in between these time something went wrong in my wireless DMX setting, cable's, with my MBA 13 inch, or whatever possible, but i do start pointing to macOS Sierra now, whether or not in combination with sweetlight version 8.

I'm quite convinced downgrading mij MBA 13inch to El Capitain will solve the problem.
I believe using my MBP 15 inch with Sierra tomorrow Tuesday-night will result in the same blackout. But let's check it out, it's only a small not so important party.
Bonifacedj

Postby Niffo » 12 December 2016, 08:57

Please try with this executable http://download.thelightingcontroller.c ... ew/fix.zip
It contains a watchdog for the case where, for an unknown reason, a thread is blocked.
Niffo
Administrateur

Postby Bonifacedj » 12 December 2016, 14:55

Ok, thanks for the quick assistance.
That's version 8.2.3.

Any instructions to follow?
Or things concerning hardware or and combination of Mac OS version you want me to checkout, focus on first?
I've downgraded my third Mac laptop today from Sierra to El Capitain.

So i have three laptops:
- MBP 15 inch with macOS Sierra (used for DJ'ing with Traktor)
- MBA 13 inch with macOS Sierra (used for sweetlight and backup for Traktor)
- MBA 11 inch with OS X El capitain (used for sweetlight lightshow backup)

In case you think any kind of combination "Mac OS version-hardware-sweetlight version" is preferable of needs more attention i can choose now.
Bonifacedj

Postby Niffo » 12 December 2016, 15:30

Nothing special to do, just try 8.2.3. On Sierra would be a plus but not mandatory.
Niffo
Administrateur

Postby Bonifacedj » 14 December 2016, 02:07

fuck fuck fuck... Niffo... you fucking... did it!
You fixed it!
Jezus, Maria....
Bonifacedj

Postby Niffo » 14 December 2016, 07:44

Nice to hear. Hope this was not a stroke of luck ;-)
Niffo
Administrateur

Postby Bonifacedj » 14 December 2016, 16:37

Niffo wrote:...Hope this was not a stroke of luck ;-)

Don't make me worry again! :lol:
Day before yesterdag i bought almost an expensive Chamsys console en went to school to studie the software. But nothing for me as a DJ.

Now i'm very curious how you fixed it and what caused it.
I want to understand what caused this blackout what made me go nuts on at least ten parties in a row.

What did you change, correct, in the software?
I'm not a programmer, but i want to grasp what software bug makes people so suffer :P
Bonifacedj

PreviousNext

Return to Mac OS