How much power do I need?

post here topics for Mac OS only

How much power do I need?

Postby bshoc » 07 April 2015, 16:16

I'm currently shopping for a new Mac. In show xpress I'm going to be sending large HD video files to my projector. Curious to know how powerful of a Mac I need. Processing power and recommendations to make sure video is strong. On past computers (PCs, not MAC) there have sometimes been glitches or lags in the video feed. Thanks for your help and advice. :D
bshoc

Re: How much power do I need?

Postby support » 07 April 2015, 16:23

We use in our office a 7 years old Macbook (blank plastic ; not aluminium), and our software works well with it.
If you use pure media files (like wave file for audio for instance), there will be no problem.
If you use compressed high-res video files requiring full processor for decoding, there will be problems.
Everything depends of your media files.

FYI: our software does not have its own media player ; it just asks the OS to play the media file.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby bshoc » 08 April 2015, 02:27

Ok I'm not to educated on decoding and compressed video files. Thanks the info, so you are saying I need to used uncompressed video files that won't require decoding? Or maybe a better question would be, how would you recommend us preparing our video files so there won't be any problems?
bshoc

Postby support » 08 April 2015, 06:59

Unlike audio files, a video file is always compressed, otherwise it would be too big.
But, depending of the compression method, the required processor time for decoding is different.
We are not pro in that stuff, so we can not help more for the coding choice.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby bshoc » 08 April 2015, 16:22

Thanks for the info. What are you hearing from customers that works best for them?

We are currently using another timeline based software but really like some of the features on show xpress so we are new and trying to learn a few things... we haven't technically connected our projectors yet, just working with the demo in our studio. But we noticed that when adding a video file to the timeline, it opens a separate window to play the video, how would send that window to be full screen on our projectors? Thanks!
bshoc

Postby support » 08 April 2015, 16:55

With a right click in the window ScreenControl, you will open the "settings" window.
You will find several parameters for that, in this window.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby bshoc » 08 April 2015, 17:46

Thanks for your help!
bshoc

Postby Luc Henrion » 08 April 2015, 18:40

Just my 2 cents: Xvid codec is really working fine for me, even on an old XP laptop (8 years old!). Not a single glitch so far. Multi platform and free, of course.
https://www.xvid.com/
Luc Henrion

Postby bshoc » 08 April 2015, 18:47

Nice! Thanks for your input! And you are running HD video files with this?
bshoc

Removing ScreenControl menu bar Vs Mac Menu bar?

Postby Falcon6fd » 16 April 2015, 03:29

Okay so I have done the "right click" on the screen control window to set the parameters for full screen and included the options to remove the gray screen control menu bar at the top. My issue now is that the Mac OS menu bar still appears on the screen control window. So you can see my desktop menu bar with the File, edit, view, clock, etc. I have no idea how to hide that from coming out on the screen control window when projecting out in full screen.

What i've found so far is that when I open other programs (safai, garageband, iMovie, etc.) and go into full screen the mac menu bar automatically disappears. When you slide the mouse cursor to the top of the screen the mac menu bar reappears for what ever program it is that you are currently using. Although, when I open SX and go into full screen my mac menu bar stays at the top of my screen and that includes when putting the ScreenControl window in full screen as well.

I've found a few youtube videos, but they maneuver into areas (file folders) in the programing files to alter and/or add text commands. I'm not a computer wizard so there is no way i'm gonna try that. So according to several videos on this matter I figure SX is one of many programs that my not have that feature that auto removes the mac menu bar (and allows it to reappear when you slide mouse to top of screen). At this point I'm just curious if there's something I'm missing or not aware of? Or is this something that will need to be written into the program itself? Either way can you please help me find a solution.

Thanks
Falcon6fd

Next

Return to Mac OS