QLab & MIDI [fixed]

post here topics for Mac OS only

QLab & MIDI [fixed]

Postby CH_NL » 12 July 2012, 20:18

Hi there,
Am looking around for a software program to control lights. For now 1 universe.
However, I'm using QLab show control (MAC only) to run audio and video during a show.
Qlab is also capable of sending MIDI messages (e.g. MSC / CC).
I should be able to prepare light settings @ home including 3d view. And light software should be able to run scenes based on MIDI messages.

I have the following quesions:
a) Is sweetlight capable of receiving and understanding MIDI messages send by another software program (e.g. QLab)? Which format does Sweetlight work with (MSC or CC) ?
b) When I would run QLab on my MAC (incl vid and audio triggering), would it be possible to run sweetlight on the same computer? Or would that ask too much from the processor when also running moving lights and leds? Would I be able to resolve that problem by increasing he memory (currentl 4GB) ?

Thx in advance
CH_NL
CH_NL

Re: QLab & MIDI

Postby support » 13 July 2012, 07:45

Is sweetlight capable of receiving and understanding MIDI messages send by another software program (e.g. QLab)

Yes it is.

Which format does Sweetlight work with (MSC or CC) ?

Please explain MSC and CC.

When I would run QLab on my MAC (incl vid and audio triggering), would it be possible to run sweetlight on the same computer?

Yes is it possible.

Or would that ask too much from the processor when also running moving lights and leds?

Our software is very light regarding processor time. Please read this: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1215

Would I be able to resolve that problem by increasing he memory (currentl 4GB) ?

No. FYI, under Windows XP, 1GB is more than enough. In other worlds, 90% of the memory is for the OS.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby CH_NL » 13 July 2012, 08:30

Hi support,

Thx for the swift response.

To explain: MSC stands for Midi Show Control and CC stands for Control Change. Two different types of midi messages that QLab is able to work with. Depends on the receiving software which type of message would be best to use. Assume I can best find this out by testing it. Unless other users already have the experience that can help me on my way.

Good to know that Sweetlight does not require heavy processing. I usually run shows in a small theatre that uses the standard fresnells, pc's and pars. And on top 6 leds + 5 moving heads. Do the leds and moving heads require more processing power?

With regards to the 3d view: is there a "automatic" link between the control area and 3d view? Better said: when I add fixtures in the one, do they show up in the other area as well or do I have to align both environments manually (as it would work with Freestyler for instance) ?

cheers
CH_NL
CH_NL

Postby support » 14 July 2012, 10:33

Software V6.30 uses "midi learn" function ; it presently understands "program change", "control change" and "note" messages. Just press the "learn" button and move the midi slider.
Our knowledge regarding midi is limited. If another type of midi message (MSC ?) can be used, please provide us more technical details. Then we will try to add it in the software.

When you add a new fixture in Setup, it is automatically shown in 3DView.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby CH_NL » 02 August 2012, 20:36

Hi,
Am working my way through Sweetlight. One thing I can't seem to get my head around is how to trigger scenes from another software program on the same laptop (QLab). Anyone who can help is herewith invited to do so :P

Have tried the different types (program, control, note), however none appear to work at current. Do I have to identify the source of the MIDI messages (e.g. QLAB) somewhere in the settings? Any help will be welcomed.

cheers
CH_NL
CH_NL

Postby support » 03 August 2012, 10:05

FYI, under Windows, we use "Midi Yoke" (a midi patch), with a virtual midi keyboard, for our midi tests.
The keyboard midi output is linked to "Midi Yoke", and "Midi Yoke" is selected in our software as midi device.

Regarding MacOS, we just select the virtual midi device in our software.
We do not know QLab, so we can not help you.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Niffo » 03 August 2012, 14:07

Do you have right activated midi and selected you midi interface in ControlBoard -> Midi Patch -> Midi Input ?
Niffo
Administrateur

Postby CH_NL » 07 August 2012, 21:56

Hi Niffo,

Could not find it in the manual but apparently this was not updated yet with the latest software updates.
Got something going now between QLab and Sweetlight after reading your tip..
Thx for the help.

CH_NL
CH_NL

Re: QLab & MIDI [fixed]

Postby support » 08 August 2012, 08:05

Yes, not easy to make the manuals (60 pages multiply by all available languages) following the software improvements.
Sorry for that.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Re: QLab & MIDI [fixed]

Postby CH_NL » 08 August 2012, 09:00

No problem with the support and fast response I'm getting in the forum.
cheers
C
CH_NL

Next

Return to Mac OS